From Pollution to Solutions
- 12 July 2023 01:40 PM
- Eco Tourism Bali
This year marks the 50th anniversary of World Environment Day, which will focus on solutions to plastic pollution, using the hashtag and slogan #BeatPlasticPollution.
More than 430 million tons of plastic is produced every year worldwide, half of which is designed to be used only once. Of that, less than 10 per cent is recycled. An estimated 19-23 million tones end up in lakes, rivers and seas annually. Microplastics – tiny plastic particles up to 5mm in diameter – find their way into food, water and air. It is estimated that each person on the planet consumes more than 50,000 plastic particles per year – and many more if inhalation is considered. Discarded or burnt single-use plastic harms human health and biodiversity and pollutes every ecosystem from mountain tops to the ocean floor.
With available science and solutions to tackle the problem, governments, companies and other stakeholders must scale up and speed actions to solve this crisis. This underscores the importance of this World Environment Day in mobilizing transformative action from every corner of the world.
A resolution was adopted in 2022 at the United Nations Environment Assembly to develop a legally binding instrument on plastic pollution, including in the marine environment, with the ambition to complete the negotiations by end of 2024. The second meeting of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee (INC-2) will be held in Paris at the end of May 2023. The instrument is to be based on a comprehensive approach that addresses the full life cycle of plastic.
Source: https://www.genevaenvironmentnetwork.org/ and photo credit: solarseven/Shutterstock
Writer: Deska Yunita
- The 1st Eco Tourism Week is Coming 9 December 2022
- Kebangkitan Pariwisata Pasca Pandemi harus Dibarengi Kepedulian Lingkungan
- BALI TOURISM INDUSTRY THROUGH SUSTAINABLE DEV’T IMPLEMENTATION
- Eco Tourism Week 2022, Sorot Keberlanjutan Pariwisata Bali dan Lingkungan Hidup
- Eco Tourism Jadi Alternatif Solusi Pariwisata Bali Agar Lebih ‘Sustainable’
- Transformasi Hijau Pariwisata Bali
- Eco Tourism Week Digelar, Ini Harapannya untuk Bali
- Pariwisata Berkelanjutan, Jurus Jitu Mencegah Lonjakan Sampah dan Emisi Seiring Geliat Wisata
- Eco Tourism Week Sukses Digelar di Bali
- Kemenparekraf Dorong Industri Pariwisata Bali Bangkit Lewat Eco Tourism Week